I have a philosophy in life. I forget about it approximately 350 days per year, but occasionally, I remind myself to get back to loving simple things. It's quite simple...if you get excited about the little stuff, you will get excited much more often. And also, when the really big and really exciting things come along, well think how major that is!
So here is the small thing that I'm HUGELY excited about today:
Yes. It's true. Your eyes do not deceive you. It's FIRST SNOW DAY! Hip Hip HOORAY!!! I stole this photo from the newspaper, but it's legitimate photo of Winter Wonderland. Let's not get tangled up with details, such as this photo comes from Alta Ski Resort, and in no way does my neighborhood even remotely resemble this picturesque scene. But we had a skiff of snow this morning, and for that, I am just beside myself with happiness.
Now. Let's get down to the heart of the matter. I love snow. Love, love, love it. But there is a little bit more to this story. The First Snow Day of the Year also indicates several other magnificent milestones, not THE LEAST of which is this:
![]() |
| As far as I'm concerned, I can't make this photo BIG ENOUGH! |
Every year, I have a contest with myself to see exactly how many days after Halloween it takes for my neighborhood Starbucks to bust out with the red cups. The busier locations are usually doling out the Christmas Cheer by November 1st, but a few lag. For shame.
Personally, I like to celebrate Election Day by stopping at every Starbucks in town until I find one who is using The Red Cup. After I have voted, of course. Election Day is certainly one of my favorite days of the year, I can never quite decide if I love it more because of the red cup, or because I adore politics and I love, love, love the feeling of being involved and caring and taking part in the process that makes our whole country go 'round.
So, dear friends, here is to celebrating the small stuff...the coming of the holiday season, the fact that we can all finally bust out our sweaters, scarves and ear muffs, the fact that it's soup-eating season, and the fact that we can stop feeling guilty for staying inside all weekend instead of getting out to mow the lawn and pick up the presents that the dogs leave in the grass. It's a glorious day indeed!

I have decided that I will reply to your comment via a comment here, so we can be organized. I know you will appreciate that. Questions answered:
ReplyDelete1. Nay, all babies DO run around looking like GAP ads. It is just a fact of nature. Isabelle probably has more clothes than she can wear. Is that wrong? I say no.
2. It does not ruffle Mother Sumsion's feathers to have peeps over. The more the merrier! Lots of empty bedrooms to fill, please come out and visit. Please and thank you.
3. We do have one cousin, not pictured obviously, who is not photogenic. Bless her ugly soul.
4. Don't be fooled about Family Game Night. Cards are thrown, words cursed, siblings storm off into the lonely void of upstairs. Not me of course, for I am the perfect sport.
5. We have lots of misfit "children" welcomed into our family. There is always room for more! I'm sure you are my long lost cousin twice removed, right?
I seriously think of you all the time. You are one of the few beacons of light that I remember from that cold, grey office known as gotravel. Holy sheballs, you could never convince me to go back there eva.