Monday, March 7, 2011

Catching Up.

It's been a hectic few weeks and I've been neglectful of my duties in reporting the random bits happening in the O'Neil-o-sphere. 

Work.  Well, we'll not dwell on this subject for too long.  Basically, work and all of the people associated with work are ON MY LAST NERVE.  It's a frustrating and irritating place to be these days.  It seems to be one of those times when there is a lot of stress and tension in the air, and a whole lot of BS as well.  But have no fear.  These things always pass.  It's certainly not the first time I've felt this way, and I'm prepared to go out on a limb to say that it likely will not be the last.  And I am reminded of my "Ah Ha!" moment several months back, where I realized that even the best jobs are only likeable about 68% of the time.  The rest of the time is all about survival. 

The Pet Situation.  Very little improvement to report on this front.  There are still three dog and five cat residents in our home.  No one really seems too interested in venturing out on their own.  Well, except Charles, who tries to run away every time the front door opens.  Sadly, he's really not eligible for parole yet because he's too dumb to survive in the world on his own.  Adorable, of course, but dumb.  Poor big fella.  I will say this for him, though:  since the whole robbery of his manhood, his behavior has improved dramatically.  No more whizzing all over the house, fewer episodes of trying to run away, and even better manners.  He has calmed down to a great extent, which is an enormous relief.  If I wasn't tired of living in a pet shop, I would entertain the notion of letting him stay.  Notice I haven't mentioned Sampson.  He continues his wretched behavior, peeing all over the house, biting Charlie at every possible opportunity, and living in a state of constant hyperventilation, working full time to keep Charlie from living a comfortable life.  It's really getting on my last nerve.  It's a good thing he is so cute and has such a lovey personality, otherwise I would really be ready to ship him off to somewhere far far away.

Offspring.  We are in a state of To Be Determined on this front.  We underwent our first "procedure" a little over a week ago.  We are guarded, but hopeful, about our chances.  The odds with this particular procedure are about 8-10%, as opposed to about 2% in trying without any "assistance".  That's all I will say on this subject because I'm working hard not to think about it, which is my coping mechanism for avoiding a total mental breakdown.

We are making a quick, unplanned trip to California this weekend.  My mom's brother, Greg, died unexpected on February 25th.  Our family has lost a lot recently, but this loss is particularly hard for my mother.  It's one thing to lose your parents, I think it's another to lose a sibling.  So more than anything, I am making an effort to be there for my mom.  I want her to have the unwavering support that we've always had from her.  It's a strange and sad feeling to attend a funeral for a family member, but to be at a total loss for any memories or really any knowledge of them.  I knew more about my grandparents, of course, but had no real relationship with either of them.  And I knew my Uncle Greg even less.  So it's a strange combination of sadness, pity, and a lot of confusion about just how to feel.  It's complex.  The plus side, though, is that every time we go through this, it brings our family just a little bit closer.  We have starting building happy memories together, weaving together a real family history.  And for that, I am so grateful. 

So anyway.  It's about time to get to work.  Isn't it weird how I always set out to write a quick blog and end up writing 10 pages of nothing?  I know.  Thanks for making it through to the end.

xoxox!

No comments:

Post a Comment