Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Best and Worst Christmas Songs In the Universe. According to Me.

NOTE:  I have been blogging a lot lately.  The frequency of my blogging is directly proportional to my lack of motivation to work.  Clearly my lack of motivation is at an all-time high right now.  But not to worry.  Sometime around 3 p.m. I'll find a burst of energy and somehow get enough done to call it a mediocre work day. 

So anyway.  I want to talk about Christmas music.  As my current FB status indicates, I have definite opinions on Christmas songs.  Let's start with the worst:

10.  I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (Ridiculous.)
9.  Have a Holly Jolly Christmas
8.  Merry Christmas From The Family (I don't want to live in a world where it's appropriate to mention tampons and Midol in a Christmas song.)
7.  Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer (Disrespectful.)
6.  I'm Gettin' Nuttin' For Christmas  (Poor grammar and spelling is never acceptable, even during the Holidays)
5.  Please Daddy, Don't Get Drunk On Christmas ( I never thought I'd say one single word against John Denver because I love him so, but this is just too much, even for him.)
4.  Cheetah-Licious Christmas by Cheetah Girls (No.  Absolutely not.)
3.  Mary Did You Know (the Kenny Rogers version.  Barf.)

2.  Christmas Shoes (unbearably sappy, even for me who sometimes permits sappiness around the holidays)
1.  Santa Baby

And now for my favorites....
10.  Please Come Home for Christmas
9.  It Came Upon A Midnight Clear
8.  I'll Be Home For Christmas (This song always makes me appreciate my own home and my own family!)
7.  Last Christmas (I have always like Bread...I even liked this song before Taylor Swift did her own version)
6.  Silent Night  (I like to sing this one at Church)
5.  Go Tell It On The Mountain (an obscure one, I know, but I loved this song when I was little)
4.  Blue Christmas (Gary Allen or Elvis version only...all others are stupid)
3.  White Christmas (Bing Crosby version only)
2.  River (I totally agree with Meg Ryan who cites this song as a faux-Christmas song in You've Got Mail...but it's still a sentimental fave)
1.  Baby It's Cold Outside (Oh how I adore this song.  I've mentioned previously that I keep trying to talk my mom into slipping it into the Praise Music at Church, but she claims it would be inappropriate.  Bah!)

Let's make it a game...send me your thoughts.  If you disagree with me, don't worry...l'll try not to think less of you.

xoxoxox!  Happy Holidays from the Still 29-year-old Bethany O'Neil

2 comments:

  1. May I also add to the "worst" list: The Friendly Beasts, particularly the Garth Brooks version. If you have not heard this, please go to youtube, find it, and spend a few minutes of your ridiculously productive work day listening.

    It is horrific. Seriously, awful.

    This season I am captivated with the Glee Christmas CD. Love those harmonizing dorks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Mic. This is hilarious because I happen to love that song! My only justification is that my sister and I sang this song at our Church when we were wee ones. I like to think it was adorable. Ironically, I know how stupid it is...I mean, I doubt those beasts were really that friendly to someone invading their stable and bringing in such a scafuffle. If there were chickens, I'm sure that their egg laying schedule got all messed up. And the cows probably couldn't get milked properly for days following.

    To say nothing of the fact that Garth Brooks doing anything but Friends In Low Places is usually pretty ridiculous!

    Hearts to you and the rest of the Sorensen/Sumsions! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete