As many of you may know, my husband, Gordon L. O'Neil, is a prince. Every morning, as I scurry around to get ready to go to work, he makes me coffee, cooks breakfast and packs my lunch.
This morning, I scurried around the house and out the door in my usual fashion. I grabbed my lunch bag, purse and coffee and hit the road. I made a side stop at the car wash because I simply could not abide the dirtiness that existed on my car for one more second. I pulled into the dark little garage and put the car in neutral as the little scrubbers went to work. I took the opportunity to take a few sips of coffee as I enjoyed the scrub-scrub-scrub of the carwash. My first sip of coffee seemed strangely smooth. Hot, of course, but somewhat tasteless. I thought to myself "Hmm. I think Gordon might have gone a little light on the coffee this morning. Or maybe it's just this new blend. It tastes remarkably weak." It screwed off the lid of the cup, inspecting the contents. In the dark of the carwash, it seemed fine. I put the cap back on, took a few more sips, and realized that there was definitely something wrong.
My car wash finished and I proceeded to the stop light, where I got stopped as I always do. I took a few more sips, but couldn't quite place what was wrong. Once again, I took the lid off of the cup and looked at it in the light of day. The results should not have surprised me. The contents of my coffee cup were water. Hot water. As I prepared to make a U-Turn and go back home for my real coffee (the Lord only knows what this world would endure if I went without coffee), I noticed a second coffee cup in my cup holder. Not having noticed it before, I reached down to notice that it was filled with hot, fresh, delightful coffee.
He is so sneaky, my little rascal of a husband.
And in other news, the tides of the earth and motions of the planets have officially changed and I have decided that I want a Nook. My sister has one and I coveted it at least four times on Monday night when I saw it. I know. I was so strong in my convictions about sticking with the paper books. But that was before I knew that the books were less expensive, the screen is perfectly lit and the thing just feels so perfectly delightful in your hands.
I would have laughed if you didn't notice the switch. I can only imagine the conversation later in the day. "So honey, how did you like your coffee this morning?"
ReplyDeleteRegarding ebooks, I LOVE my Kindle. It hasn't replaced my love for paper books in the least, but I find that I pick up super cheap and super random books I would never read in print due to cost, etc. Somehow free makes them more interesting. Also, you can get all of the classics via the Guttenberg project, FOR FREE! It's fab.
What would have really happened is that about an hour later, I would have had a raging headache and this terrible urge to bite the heads off of every poor soul who had the misfortune to cross my path!
ReplyDeleteAnd about the Kindle, I have yet to be able to actually hold a Kindle in my hand to see just how it feels. That's what got me about the Nook. Plus, I have been told that you can read anything and everything FOR FREE if you are in an actual Barnes and Noble AND you can "loan" books to your Nooky friends. I just love that feature, especially since my sister has one!